Tuesday, September 23, 2008

See you soon..

On Sunday, 21st September, I received a sms stating that my friend's, Ashutosh, also my colleague, mother had passed away. She had been battling a fatal disease for sometime now and this was the day when the fight was over.

I was unable to make it to his place on the same day, but was there following day with the rest of my colleagues. Upon entering his house we found his father sitting on a mat with several relatives. He invited us all in and exhibited no trace of sorrow or anguish. We were briefed on the happenings of the past few months up to the time of the tragedy. Ashutosh's father then showed us a family album. Amidst all this, Ashutosh, who had gone to select a frame for his mothers picture called me and instructed all of us to leave the house and wait for him near the entrance of the building. Reason? His father, a heart patient, was advised not to talk too much.

Two things struck me at once. First, Ashutosh, instead of being at home and mourning the loss, was up and performing his duties. And second, he was fully aware of his father’s condition and had the presence of mind to call and instruct us about what we should be doing.

Following his orders, we went out of the house, towards the gate and waited for him. Ashutosh arrived shortly and met us. Of all the things he said, that which I will never forget is -

"On Saturday, I had my mother. On Sunday all I have is a memory."

Makes me wonder about the things we really need to look forward to and cherish.

[This post is dedicated to Ashutosh and the courage he displayed in testing times.]


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"all Good things have sad endings",rightly said.Speaking for Ashutosh ,he has the mettle to the core in him.
Yeah & as you said it makes us wonder abt the things we look forward to ...