Sunday, December 7, 2014

Facepack

"Memories can be painful. To forget might be a blessing!" - Kung Fu Hustle Movi
Well, not really! I did not quite remember my last experience and let Anjali
talk me right into it. I was back in the "chair" and had faint recollections of a guy speaking to me in a soft voice
".. sir, a little more above the ear.... how about the bald patch on the forehead.... a square or rounded neck...is that enough medium-short...this twirl looks good"!
It was déjà vu all over again but with a little more class!
The last time I was in an average-class salon was about 6 years back. The salon was new and my meager paycheck came with a bonus I think. So, at the end of the hair-cut which cost me Rs.30 I let the barber talk me into taking one of their "packages".
"sir, iss cream se aapka face soft ho jayega...". Nice! Picture of one of the may film stars in the salon floated in front my closed eyes and I would wonder who among them had a soft skin like this cream promised to give.. SRK, Abhisek, Jonh...wow!
"sir, iss cream se aapke dark pimples kam ho nikal jayenge..." clear skin.... aftab shivdasani...again the floating pictures..
"sir, iss cream se aapke chereh pe shine aa jayega...'.. yeah! bright lights, the annual function is just around the corner.. I could use some 'extra' "shine" on my face.. so what if I don't even remotely shine in anything else that I do?
At the end of the session, I put my spectacles back on eager to look at a soft, shiny, pimple-free me. Not that I expected someone from the poster to stare back at me from the mirror but nothing could have prepared me for "me".
I was bruised, oily and looking as though I had just completed a two day un-reserved compartment journey. I had endured all kinds of weird sensations on my face, uncomfortable proximity to a complete stranger for 1 hour, strong odors (rajnigandha included), somehow fought of a panic-attack (I am genetically claustrophobic!) and learnt all about the barbers extended family. Rs.250 (inclusive of haircut) for all of this.
Today, a similar experience cost me Rs.550 which included an additional 'bleach' to make me 'fair'. I use bleach in my bathroom!
Well, so that was it; at the end of the show I put on my spectacles found me smiling at me and walked out.

No comments: